Clutter Image Rating System:
This system is used by many in the field as a way to accurately define the clutter level and to measure and record changes.
The Clutter Image Rating has visuals for Living Room, Kitchen and Bedroom and is a tool for comparing levels of hoarding. Combined with the number system outlined below it provides a common language when discussing hoarding.
The Clutter Image Rating - Numbers outline the severity of the hoarding in correlation with the images.
Clutter Image Rating Scale
- No evidence of hoarding
- Clutter problem beginning – subclinical hoarding.
- Mild hoarding if room like this most of the time.
- Moderate hoarding problem.
- Serious hoarding problem.
- Very serious hoarding problem.
- Severe hoarding...substantial impairment.
- Very severe hoarding
- Extreme hoarding problems.
Clutter Image Rating is now available as a free app that can be obtained through the App store. Presently only available for Apple devices.
This video demonstrates a comparison between old and new furniture and how quickly flashover occurs with modern furnishings; and this is without the added fuel loads found in hoarding situations.